Russian version
Novgorod Architecture / The Church of St John the Baptist-on-Opoki

The Church of St John the Baptist-on-Opoki

In the last twenty years before Novgorod lost its independence the deliberate imitation of old, 12th-century buildings became fairly widespread. In 1454 Archbishop Euphymius had the Church of St John the Baptist in Opoki (1127-30) demolished and a new one built on the old foundations, which not only copied the ground plan of the original church but all its other details as well.