Russian version
Novgorod Architecture / The Church of St John the Almsgiver

The Church of St John the Almsgiver

The Church of St John the Almsgiver (1422) originally resembled the classical Novgorodian structures, 4-pier in plan, single-domed and single-apsed with a typically austere decor (adjoining it on the north was a single-pier chamber). Following substantial alterations of its interior and upper part, the church turned into a pierless structure under a single vault. The west facade is notable for a band of pentagonal niches which was to hallmark 16th-century Novgorodian buildings.